Atherosclerosis is a condition of the collection of fat (lipid) along the artery walls. Fat is then thickens, hardens (forming calcium deposits), and finally narrowed artery channels, thereby reducing the supply of oxygen and blood to the organs of the body. The hardened fat deposits on the artery walls is called plaque.
When plaque completely covering the artery, the tissue supplied by that artery will die. If the heart arteries (coronary arteries) are blocked, you will have a heart attack, congestive heart failure, or abnormal heart rhythm. When the arteries of the brain (cerebral arteries) are blocked, you will have a stroke, whether mild stroke or severe stroke.
Complications of atherosclerosis occurs when a plaque ruptures and migrate through the arteries to other parts. Outstanding plaque is called emboli or embolus, which consists not only fat but also dead cells, blood clots are frayed and fibrous tissue. Emboli can cause damage due to blocking of blood flow at the destination, so the network lack of oxygen and die.
• Causes of atherosclerosis
Atherosclerosis is primarily concerned with the diet contains too much cholesterol, it is increasingly common in today's society. Cholesterol is a type of fat that is essential for our body. Most of cholesterol produced by the body (mainly in the liver), while others come from your diet.
• Symptoms of atherosclerosis
Atherosclerosis can begin to develop very early, when you're young, but almost always without symptoms. Arise when diseases such as angina or stroke is usually already at an advanced stage.
• Prevention of atherosclerosis
1. Maintain a balanced diet, reduce saturated animal fats, fried foods, fast food and processed foods containing trans fats.
2. Eating foods that can lower cholesterol.
3. Diligent exercise. Physical exercise improves circulation and is good for the lungs, heart, and muscle.
4. Manage stress. High stress lifestyle increases blood pressure and stimulate the heart and arteries.
5. Quit smoking.
6. Keep your blood pressure, blood sugar and your weight at normal levels.
You have read this article Cholesterol with the title The Causes And Symptoms Of Atherosclerosis. You can bookmark this page URL http://antsonafarm.blogspot.com/2012/07/the-causes-and-symptoms-of.html. Thanks!